Thursday, June 2, 2011

Riding in the rain

Yesterday Christina  and I had quite an experience going for a ride in a Chennai rain storm. It felt wonderful, a great escape from the normal heat of the day. We have been just riding around quite a bit, touring the city and seeing the sights from the moped. Yesterday, we visited some of her friends from school. Yesterday night, we also tried KFC, which was actually good, but very different from KFC in the States. All the employees apparently found me very interesting (as do many of the people here...I'm almost used to all the staring), and they all crowded in the kitchen and pointed when we came in. We were soaking wet from the rain so the cashier kindly gave us two paper napkins..haha. 

This morning, we woke up very early (as a result of some lingering jet lag or just confusion on a sleeping schedule) and we went out to tower park after breakfast. It is a local park that many people exercise in, and there was actually a roller skating class for children going on, which was adorable. We visited some more friends today, and then we did some shopping. I needed a nice churidhar or salwar (fancy Indian formal wear/pant suit) for a wedding reception that we will be going to tomorrow. Shopping here is VERY different...you cannot just browse to look for what you want. They take you through the store and take everything out of bags and off racks that they think you might like. I felt so bad, because I didn't want them to unfold every single piece of clothing, but it's just how shopping works. It was also difficult explaining what I wanted considering that all the people helping me only spoke Tamil, so I just kept nodding until after what seemed like an eternity I found one that I liked and that fit..so I'll hopefully be putting some pictures up tomorrow after the reception of my awesome new outfit :) It was a very tense shopping trip, but it was definitely a new experience.

Anyway, things are great, just getting to know Chennai and enjoying India. Hope you all are good! 


Christina let me take the scooter for a spin :) 

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome Abs! So glad you're having an awesome time in India! I'll be keeping up with your posts. Can't wait to see more pictures :)

    Love,
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a good time! Everyone says hello, Nanny says to find her some key chains.

    Love you! Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete