Wednesday, June 22, 2011

trip to agra and delhi

We got home today from our trip, which was so interesting to be able to see other parts of India. Like I had said earlier, we went to Agra first, which was incredible. We saw Akbar's palace, the Agra fort, and the baby Taj the first day. I absolutely loved the fort- it was more of a palace than a fort, filled with passageways that led to gorgeous marble mosques and rooms with marble pillars and floors. To think of living there was so fun, I felt like a little kid, exploring every corner. It also had a spectacular view of the Taj from one of the courtyards (couldn't ask for a better view than the TAJ MAHAL!), so that was really exciting. The next day, of course, we saw the incredible Taj Mahal. We got there early, so it wasn't overwhelmingly crowded (although it was still packed, as to be expected), and it was still cool. I took SOO many photos, I wanted to capture it from every angle, try to remember every way of looking at it. It is a lot bigger than I thought, and there is nothing like seeing it up close. One funny and annoying thing though was how many people were just staring at me. I mean, of course, I expected some strange looks being a six foot tall American with blue eyes, but like tons of people were coming up to me asking to take a picture with me. At first it was amusing, but it got old after a while, and I started to feel like I was an exhibit. But that aside, I just wanted to stay in the gardens surrounding it and just look at it- it was hard to believe I was there.

The same day, after seeing the Taj, we headed to Delhi/New Delhi, and got there pretty late. Then Monday, we were able to see the India gate, the parliament houses, embassies, and lots of other attractions in Delhi. Then yesterday, we stayed another night and were able to see the Indira Ghandi exhibit, which I found so fascinating. It told the story of her life, and her sons, through their own words. Both of them served as prime ministers of India and both were assassinated. They stood for nonviolent movements and are highly respected leaders of India. The memorial was in her house, so it was incredible to learn about her life while seeing her dining room and study. I love history, so that was definitely a treat for me. We also had a very interesting lunch at what is known as a "canteen." I felt like I was in the army- they slam down a metal plate in front of you and just start putting things on your plate. It was absolutely hilarious and quite the experience, definitely a meal I will never forget. I've actually gotten pretty used to the food here, and have surprisingly been able to eat even the very spicy dishes.

Then this morning, we flew back to Chennai and have been here the afternoon. I know that was very long, but just wanted to mention some highlights of the trip. But anyways, I'll head out, but hope you all are well and if you happen to be in Georgia, then I will see you very soon :)

at the India Gate
 
The Taj Mahal :)


No comments:

Post a Comment